Header

Panda Loves Eyeliner Image Map
Blogger Home About Me Contact Image Map

Saturday, August 31, 2013

[Review]: Dolly Wink Long Mascara

  Hi all!  Today, I wanted to share my thoughts and a review on my long-time HG (holy grail) mascara!  You may have seen me mention this mascara in multiple FOTD's (face of the day) and I've even done a mascara routine post in the past as well.  I apologize now, my skin is a bit dry, I've been breaking out here and there, and I look extremely tired, please excuse the dead fish-faces and dark circles. T^T




  I have been using Dolly Wink's Long mascara formula for a few years now, ever since I saw Eki's review on it!  Eki is also the reason I got into fiber mascaras too, she used to use Fiberwig Mascara too, and I used that for a while until she did a comparison here.  Fiberwig's Extra Long formula was great and was my HG for a while, and then Dolly Wink became my new HG and has been ever since.

  Dolly Wink is a brand created by Tsubasa Masuwaka and is also under the company Koji.  I believe this brand is very popular in Asia and probably more so in Japan.  It has super cute packaging and it's totally girly!  I'm a sucker for packaging and I love the polka dots, pink and purple.

  The Long mascara formula is my favorite out of the two formulas that Dolly Wink offers.  They also offer the Volume formula which I did not like very much.  It got clumpy, didn't volumize my lashes very much at all and I disliked the formula, it was a bit thick and didn't work with my lashes unfortunately.  Once upon a time ago, I tried using both the Volume and Long formulas together, but didn't care for the results much as it was very clumpy and somewhat spidery.  (I highly dislike spidery lashes on myself).  

  Onto the review!  The formula for Dolly Wink's Long mascara, I find is a good balance between wet and dry.  It is definitely wet, but not so wet that it's runny or takes forever to dry.  I find the fibers to be very lengthening and gives a very natural and clean look to the lashes.  I also find this mascara to be wonderful with not smudging onto my lower lashline and it does not flake.  This mascara also does not irritate my eyes, and I am a regular prescription contact wearer.  It is also water resistant, this means that while it is not water proof, it will not run if I cry or if the weather is humid.  One of the things that I love most about Dolly Wink mascara is that it lasts all day and is easily removed with warm water.  When you wash it off, you can sort of pull it off your lashes in little clumps.  I use jojoba oil to remove my eye makeup and I take a little on my fingers and gently rub/press the oil into my lashes and gently remove all of the residue.  It comes off like magic!

  
  As you can see, my lashes are not exactly super short or stubby, but without mascara they are not very noticeable.  I also have absolutely no volume whatsoever to my lashes either. T^T  They can appear sparse and most of the time point straight and sometimes downward if they aren't curled.  In the first picture are my bare lashes, curled using a traditional eyelash curler.  In the second picture, is a full 2 coats of Dolly Wink Long mascara and curled.  I curl my lashes with a traditional curler before mascara, and after I have applied the desired amount of coats I want, I use an electric lash curler to finish the lashes off.  You can see a drastic difference in length of my lashes between the before and after picture. 
 

Here you can see the difference the mascara makes in length.  Left: No mascara.  Right: 1 coat.


In this picture, you can see that the left eye is not curled with the electric curler and the right eye is.  An electric lash curler makes a big difference with this mascara and I don't mind the extra step because of the results.  You can see that my lashes are nicely separated and not clumpy at all.  A few of you have also mentioned that sometimes it looks like I'm wearing falsies!  I'd say the only downside of using Dolly Wink mascara or any fiber mascara in general (from my own experiences) they do not keep a curl if the lashes are curled with a traditional curler.  I find that my lashes will droop if I do not finish them with the electric lash curler.


You can see in this picture the progression between coats and what a difference the electric curling does for my eye and lashes.  



And there ya have it!  Nicely defined, separated and fully lengthened lashes!

Would I recommend this?

  I highly recommend this mascara if you like clean, clump-free, non-spidery, natural looking, long lashes without the use of falsies.  This mascara would be great for those of you who have naturally voluminous lashes and want length.  I would also recommend this to gals with shorter lashes as well, since this is decently buildable, you can create really great length.  I usually go with 2 coats for a natural look, and if I have more time to get ready or if there's a special occasion I will go with 3 coats.

What would I rate this?

  Even though this is my HG mascara, I would overall give it a rating of 4/5.

Length: 5/5 - This is the best lengthening mascara I've ever tried.
Volume: 1/5 - This is definitely not a volumizing mascara, but I gave it 1 out of 5 because it still makes my lashes more noticeable and more than one coat helps thicken up my lashes just a teeny bit.
Curl: 1/5 - I would say that this mascara (and all the other fiber mascaras I've used) requires the extra step with the electric lash curler to keep the curl in all day and all night.  I have tried curling with just a traditional curler but this mascara will have my lashes droop and straight after a few hours.
Brush: 5/5? - The brush is your typical spooly.  It's thin and easy to use when getting to the tiny lashes or the outer lashes at the corner of the eyes by using the tip.  I didn't rate this down because the brush works fine for the formula.
Packaging: 5/5 - It's super cute! 

Pros:
Lengthens
Looks natural and clean
Does not flake
Does not smudge
Water resistant
Separates lashes well
Gives a falsie look without falsies
Easy removal

Cons:
Does not keep curl without an electric lash curler
Not water proof
A little expensive
Online availability only.  (Hard to find if you're in the States).
Time consuming application - This mascara works best with patience and  layering the coats.  You need to wait for each coat to dry before adding another coat and then finally finishing off with the electric lash curler.

Where can you buy this?

  I have purchased the Dolly Wink Long mascara from Sasa.  Sasa carries both the long and volume formula if you are interested.  You can also find the volume formula at Pretty and Cute as well.  You can also probably find it for a much better price on eBay, Amazon or any other store.  I stick with Sasa and Pretty and Cute because I trust their products and know that I am receiving authentic products.  The Dolly Wink Long mascara is usually between $13 - $23 USD.  $23.00 is the most expensive I've seen it and at Pretty and Cute.  It used to be around $11-12 on Sasa, but after they upgraded the packaging the prices went up a bit.  If you guys find a better deal that is from a legitimate store or seller, please let me know!

Additional info: 

  I have a Panasonic Electric Eyelash curler and always use it with Dolly Wink mascara or fiber mascaras.  You can find this on Target.com or online in general ie; eBay, Amazon, etc.  I also have the Shiseido eyelash curler for my traditional curler as well.

  Have you ever tried Dolly Wink mascaras before?  If so, what do you think of it?  Do you think you'll give it a try if you haven't?  Let me know in the comments!  Also, if you have any mascara recommendations you think I should give a go, let me know! ♥  I hope this review was helpful!  Thanks for reading!  (^.~ )v

28 comments:

  1. I think your natural lashes are already quite long, Anna. Don't be too hard on yourself. hehehe... This Dolly Wink mascara looks promising as the application looks so clean. You know, fibre mascara tends to be spidery and clumpy? Not for this. I would definitely buy this mascara to try. I love trying out mascaras!

    RYC:
    Thank you for your sweet comment Anna. I hope I won't bore my readers with continual write-ups of travel posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, Thank you Jo! ^__^ I was blessed with not so short lashes so this mascara is a nice way to enhance the length I have and give even more length. I hope that if you pick this up it works great for you ^__^b Thanks again for reading and always leaving sweet comments.

      PS, don't worry travel posts are totally not boring, but it's a nice way to go "on vacation" without leaving my home haha.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, thanks for such a detailed review Anna! I've heard lots about this mascara, but was pretty skeptical (no idea why). But those before/after photos are pretty amazing! o.o I currently use my Kiss Me Heroine Make mascara (HG), but humm... I'll buy this mascara next and see how it goes! Looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I get skeptical about stuff all the time too lol. And you're welcome, I'm always happy to hear that my reviews are detailed, sometimes I feel like I don't provide enough info or details lol! I really want to try Kiss Me's Heroine mascara, I haven't heard anything bad about it, but haven't really seen too many reviews. Maybe I'll give it a try! ^__^ Thanks again for reading and commenting. <3

      Delete
  3. Lovely blog :-)

    jchungs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it looks sooo good. I like your blog. Maybe you can visit my blog and follow me on gfc and bloglovin.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reviewing this in so much depth hehe^^ I usually stick to one mascara but you made me want to try this one now~ especially since it's Dolly Wink and the packaing is super cut>_< x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I tried this out, I never went back. Occasionally, because I have to order this from out of the country and it takes a while, I try other mascaras (usually drugstore) and I like some of them, but I always go back to this one. If you do decide to try it out, I hope you like it as much as I do! ^__^ <3 Thanks for reading Emily! <3

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the lovely review :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, I hope you found it helpful! Thanks for reading! ♥

      Delete
  7. ok im inggit again haha. your natural eye lashes are super long! :) it looks nice on your lashes. have you tried maybelline colossal mascara, its the one i use for volumizing :) maybe you will like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shayne! ^___^ No I haven't tried the Maybelline Colossal yet, but I did try out The Falsies and I find that I still like Dolly Wink better for the length. I really liked Cover Girl Lash blast once upon a time ago for volume. ^__^ I'll let you know if I try out Colossal!

      Delete
    2. ill check out cover girl lash blast :) thanks anna!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the wonderful review!!^_^
    I'm always a bit skeptic about mascaraslol
    I really love your blog and love how you love pandas too!!(: ahah
    Definitely following now(:
    I hope you can visit my page and do the same as well^_^

    Much love,
    http://deekaytien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm so glad you found the review helpful! Pandas are my favorite animal! ^__^ <3 Thank you very much for visiting and following! <3 Will definitely check out your blog as well.

      Delete
  9. I love dollywink and was addicted to their liquid liner for years on end! But then I started experimenting and have realised that though Dollywink products are nice there are cheaper options else where, but who could resist that adorable packaging?! I've always wondered about the mascara so thanks for this review! I may just have to get it now, anti-clump is such a huge seller to me.

    I've also nominated you for the Liebster award! Please check it out here!

    edge-e.blogspot.co.uk

    Loves.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Dolly Wink liquid liner for forever as well... it's too hard for me to get away from it because it works so well for me. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for cheaper alternatives that work as well as DW's does, please do tell! ^__^

      Delete
  10. Omg... im sold. I've only recently branched out to asian beauty product brands-- but your eyelashes in the 2nd coat pic look SO GOOD. Not to mention the packaging... Dolly Wink just seems to get me every time!

    biffsquiggled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously love Dolly Wink! I love the eyeliner and this mascara, they're my HG's! Their packaging IS adorable! ^__^ <3 Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad the review helped you out! ♥

      Delete
  11. Love this review !! And this mascara does surely lengthen your lashes! I love ALL your post!

    Evelyn<3
    simplybeautyxd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad that it was helpful! And thank you so much for reading! ♥ ^___^

      Delete
  12. Oh wow, the Dolly Wink Long Mascara looks really good on you and makes your eyelashes so long and pretty! When I tried this product it seemed to clump up on me all the time and smudge and smear >.< Maybe my eyes are just funny hehe~
    I love reading your blog and reviews!~~

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fifi, thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I really love this mascara, but one of the major cons for most people is patience. This mascara takes a bit to get used to as the formula is a bit on the wet side, and to avoid clumping, you have to apply one coat at a time. So I always wait for the coats to dry before adding a new one and this avoids clumpage pretty nicely. I also only ever use this mascara with an electric eyelash curler. It's the best combo with the best results! Thanks again for stopping by, so glad to hear you enjoy my reviews. Thank you. ♥

      Delete
  13. I've totally been wanting this for a while now! Looks like it doesn't clump so I'll really have to look into this! Great review! :)


    fairywater79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally recommend it! I will tell you, it does not clump if you are patient enough to wait for the coats to dry in between layering them. If you try to layer before waiting for layers to dry, it can get a bit clumpy! :X However, I have used this for years and have never had any issues with clumping. ^^b

      Delete
  14. Lovely blog *___*
    I will glad to see you too :)
    http://pumpkinpew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and leaving your comments! I truly appreciate them. ♥ I love checking out other people's blogs, so please feel free to leave your link! Unfortunately, any "follow for follow" requests will be ignored or deleted.

♥ (^-^ )v

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...