Header

Panda Loves Eyeliner Image Map
Blogger Home About Me Contact Image Map

Thursday, March 20, 2014

[Product Battle]: Too Faced Shadow Insurance vs. Urban Decay Primer Potion

  Hey everyone, long time no post!  Today I wanted to share with you my recent experiment.  Last weekend was beautiful and my mum-in-law and I went on a girls shopping day just the two of us.   We had a fantastic time and I was able to add a few pieces to my spring/summer wardrobe!  I know my blog is more geared towards makeup and cosmetic related things, but is anyone interested in fashion posts?  (Warning, I am not very stylish, BUT I love shopping for bargains.  Most of anything I buy is on sale.)

  So because I would be out and about all day last Saturday, I decided to put two products to the test that I had been meaning to compare for a long time.  I actually quite like both, and was curious to see how each one compared to the other.  Everyone is aware of the "holy grail" eye primers that are Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion.  Both primers come in different versions such as UD's Sin, Anti-Ageing formula, and TF's Champagne Shimmer and Candle Light.  I have both primers in the original formulas.  If you wear eyeshadow, you cannot do so without one of these babies, unless you are super lucky and have no oils on your lids.  A few things to consider before flipping into my product battle royal:

  • I have extremely oily lids (and skin) and eyeshadow and makeup normally slide around and fade on me quickly, even with primers. -___-;
  • I used Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette for my eye makeup
  • The weather was chilly and a bit warm inside the mall, and I tend to sweat (TMI? Sorry, everyone sweats :P).  So to say the least, I suppose my environment was a bit warm, so environment temperature or weather is a valid variable in this experiment.
  • My sincere apologies now, I took the before pictures in the morning when the sun was out, and obviously I got home late evening so I had to take the after photos in the bathroom, I apologize for the lighting.  This may make it difficult to see the comparison. ;___;
  • I had Too Faced Shadow Insurance on the right eye, and Urban Decay Primer Potion on the left in my pictures.
  So if you're ready to find out who came out the champion in today's Product Battle, follow me after the flip! ^.~



  So below, you will see the a few pictures of the start of the day right after finished makeup.


Left: Urban Decay Primer Potion and Right: Too Faced Shadow Insurance


I used both primers all over the lid, as well as under my eyes where the highlight and lower outer corner of my eyes are.  *Please excuse my crazy wispy hair flyaways in some of the pictures!!! >_<



Above is the right eye: Too Faced Shadow Insurance



Above is the left eye: Urban Decay Primer Potion

  So you can see in the pictures above, comparison between the right and left eye are fairly similar.  I did the same kind of makeup on both eyes with the same amount of product.  Both primers do their job when creating a smooth canvas for shadow to stick to.  I will also confirm that both primers do make the shadows more vibrant and bring out the color you use as they both claim to do.  I have been using both primers interchangeably throughout the years and I have to say, I don't really have a favorite!  They both work really great, but this little experiment may determine which one I will use more or continue to use.  I will say that I tend to reach and use the Too Faced Shadow Insurance a little more than Urban Decay's Primer Potion.  I think I like the feel of the formula for TFSI a little more than UDPP, it seems to have a less dry feeling, it feels a lot more moisturizing and has a bit more "slip" when applying. UDPP has a much dryer formula, and feels a bit thicker in consistency as well.  Even still, UDPP application is still smooth, just feels different.  Using either primer my eye makeup usually lasts a good while, I'd say it looks fresh for at least 4+ hours before it starts to fade.  Bare in mind, my lids are very oily, and everyone's skin chemistry is different, so your eye makeup may last you much longer than mine does. -__-;

  Below, I have included photos of my eye makeup after I got back home later than night.  (I believe mum and I left around noon-ish but I got up at about 10am and had makeup done by 11am.  We arrived home around 8:30pm - 9pm-ish, so it was a good 8+ hours of wearing makeup and being out all day.)


Left: Urban Decay Primer Potion and Right: Too Faced Shadow Insurance




You can see here, that both eyes have faded almost completely, except my lower lash line still looks fine.  There is significant creasing on both eyes, and hardly any shadow left. ;__;  Again, this is after 8+ hours.



Above is the right eye: Too Faced Shadow Insurance



Above is the left eye: Urban Decay Primer Potion *Not sure why this last picture here is a different color than the rest - I really hate my bathroom lighting, did I mention that yet? -___-;  Sorry!!

So that's it for picture comparison.  What did I think about the battle?  Let's review each product individually:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance:

♥  Provides a good base for shadow
♥  Brightens and makes shadows more vibrant
♥  Prevents fading and creasing
♥  Thin and moisturizing consistency
♥  Silicone based (explains the thinner and "slippery" consistency and application)
Colorless
Waterproof
 Major plus per Sephora.com this primer is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates

Ingredients:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

SOURCES: 
http://www.sephora.com/shadow-insurance-P202625?skuId=1050616
http://www.toofaced.com/p/eye-shadow-primers/shadow-insurance/

Urban Decay Primer Potion:
♥  Provides a good base for shadow
♥  Brightens and makes shadows more vibrant
♥  Prevents fading and creasing
♥  Thick consistency which makes for a good base
 Colorless 
Ingredients:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Synthetic Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben

May Contain:
Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride)

SOURCE: http://www.urbandecay.com/eyeshadow-primer-potion-professional-size/315,default,pd.html?start=4&cgid=1_503

  Basically, both shadow primers claim to do the exact same things.  They are also now the same price if you are picking up the original formulas.  (I have been buying both for a few years, and TFSI used to be about $18 which was just a bit less expensive than UDPP.)  However, you get more "bang for your buck" with UDPP because you receive 0.37oz of product compared to TFSI at 0.35oz of product for the same price, at $20 USD.  So if the amount of product you are receiving for that kind of money is important to you, that is something to consider.  Another consideration that may be important to some, is TFSI is forumulated without some common yucky chemicals which I listed above, whereas UDPP neither Sephora.com or UD's official site say anything about the primer being formulated without the yucky chemicals.  I also noticed that TFSI claims to be waterproof but I did not see that claim for UDPP.  Both products on their official websites also claim that the primers provide vibrant, crease-free or crease-proof color that lasts for 24+ hours.  I will be the first to say this claim is silly, my shadows never last past 8+ hours.  Though I will say I have never really worn makeup for 24+ hours so, maybe this claim isn't so silly...  (Have you guys? lol I like my sleep >_>)  Also, packaging wise, I would have said that I was with TFSI on the tube packaging; easier to use and control product, more hygienic, and cost effective (you can actually get all the product out).  UDPP had the little plastic bottle packaging for a long time, and I hated that.  I did love the idea of a wand type applicator, but it was a pain to get all the product out, and I was excited when they released the new packaging in a squeezy tube too.  Thumbs up for packaging on both brands. After considering all of that, who is the winner in my personal, honest opinion?   *Drum roll!*

It was a draw!


  I believe that both products do pretty much everything they claim to do, and at the same level of performance.  I did not feel that either product did better than the other, but that the winner may be determined by your own personal preference.  I like both so I'll continue to use either one, or at least use up UDPP and continue on with TSFI.  I think I'll continue to choose Two Faced Shadow Insurance over Urban Decay's Primer Potion, simply because it's formulated without the yucky chemicals, and the waterproof claim which is beneficial for my oily lids.  However, I have heard of dupes for these products at a much better price.  I am happy to say that I decided to pick up Etude House's Proof 10 Primer to try out since it was so much cheaper and I've heard from a few other bloggers that it is very comparable especially for the price.  Expect a review on that soon!  Also, I've heard that ELF's eye primer is decent as well.  NYX also carries an eye primer that I hope to try out soon as well.  

I hope this review/battle was helpful and fun to read!  Any other suggestions for product battles?  I'm thinking of making it a little series. ^_^


Do you have a favorite primer?  Do you use a dupe for Urban Decay's Primer Potion or Too Faced's Shadow Insurance?  Let me know in the comments!  ^.~  Thanks as always for reading and I wish all of you a beautiful day!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this review Anna! I've been using the UD Primer Potion for ages and wondered if there was anything comparable. I will have to give the Too Faced Shadow Insurance a try when my current tube runs out. I am curious since you mentioned that it's more moisturizing.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you're welcome Rowena! Glad to hear that my post was helpful! I just had to test them out against each other! I definitely feel Too Faced Shadow Insurance is more moisturizing, it has more slip than the UD Primer Potion, but that could be a potential disadvantage for those with super oily lids like myself, but I found that the primer's silicone base helps make shadow stick quite well. Thanks for reading, I always appreciate your kind comments! ^_^ ♥

      Delete
  2. welcome back! :) i like comparison reviews esp if the products included are the HG brands, i think id prefer the too faced primer since its less drying. i have the UD primer and i like it a lot but i would prefer it less dry so id like to try TF next :D good job on this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shayne!!! You are always so sweet! ♥ I'm glad you like these kinds of posts, because I want to do more "product battles" and I feel that in the process of doing so, I can find dupes that are less expensive than the name brand HG brands. I'm glad you liked this review, I'll be sure to continue posting more! ^__^ And it's good to be back, or at least mostly back haha.

      Delete
  3. omg your lashes look amazing! your blog is very lovely and interesting. i`m glad if you visit my blog, too <3

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Thi how sweet! Thanks for visiting! Will definitely check your blog out! ^_^b

      Delete
  4. Your lashes is so long! *____* Can I ask you which mascara you used? Want to try ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! I only use Dolly Wink Long mascara! It's my HG mascara haha! It's a fiber one from Japan. I also have a review on it as well. But it's my most favorite mascara and the only one I've used for a few years. I always think about using a different one, but I always go back to it! I purchase mine at SaSa.com. You can probably find it on eBay too, but I trust SaSa to have authentic products. ^__^b

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply! I wanted to try Dolly Wink mascara but I coudn't decide Volume one or Long one x) It looks very pretty on your lashes, I thing I will try it :3

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Glad I could help! I tried the Volume version too, and I didn't like it as much as the Long formula. The Volume one was nice, but I found that it clumped and didn't work well on its' own, I used both of them together, but still didn't like Volume as much as I love Long version! If you try it out, I hope you like it! ^__^b

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and leaving your comments! I truly appreciate them. ♥ I love checking out other people's blogs, so please feel free to leave your link! Unfortunately, any "follow for follow" requests will be ignored or deleted.

♥ (^-^ )v

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...